For centuries, these delightful balls of fluff have added a playful touch to fashion, accessories, and crafts. Did you know that pom poms can also be incorporated into your home decor? It’s true! Whether textiles, wall hangings, or vases, there are countless ways to incorporate these fluffy wonders into your home. We will take you on a journey through the history of pom poms in home decor, explore the benefits they bring to your living space, share different creative ways you can incorporate them into various areas of your home, provide some DIY ideas for making your pom decorations, and offer tips on choosing the perfect colour and size for maximum impact.
History of Pom Poms in Home Decor
Pom poms have a rich history that dates back centuries. They were first introduced in home decor by the ancient Egyptians, who used them to adorn their clothing and textiles. Pom poms’ vibrant colours and playful texture quickly caught on, spreading across different cultures and continents. In the 18th century, pom poms became popular in Europe during the Rococo period. French nobility embraced these fluffy embellishments, incorporating them into their extravagant interior designs.
Benefits of Using Pom Poms in Home Decor
Adding pom poms to your home decor can bring a touch of whimsy and playfulness to any space. These tiny, fluffy balls are visually appealing and offer several benefits for your home. Pom poms can instantly brighten a room with vibrant colours and soft textures. They add a pop of colour that can liven up even the dullest corners of your home.
Different Ways to Incorporate Pom Poms into Your Home
Pom poms are not just for cheerleaders anymore! These playful and colourful accents can add a touch of whimsy and fun to any space in your home. Here are some unique and creative ways to incorporate pom poms into your decor: In Textiles and Soft
Furnishings: One of the easiest ways to introduce pom poms into your home is by adding them to textiles such as pillows, blankets, or curtains.
Artwork: Take your wall decor by incorporating pom poms into tapestries, macrame hangings, or framed artwork.
In Textiles and Soft Furnishings
One way to incorporate pom poms in textiles is by choosing pillows or cushions that feature these adorable embellishments. Whether you opt for a few scattered pom poms or an entire pillow, they will surely become eye-catching focal points in your living space.
In Wall Hangings and Artwork
Creating a colourful garland is one way to incorporate pom poms into your wall hangings. Simply string pom poms onto a piece of twine or ribbon and hang it on your wall for an instant pop of colour. You can customize the length and colours to match your style. Another idea is to use pom poms as accents on framed artwork.
In Planters and Vases
One idea is to attach small pom poms around the rim of a planter or vase using hot glue or fabric adhesive. This simple addition adds texture and dimension, turning an ordinary container into something extraordinary. Another option is to create hanging pom pom planters by attaching large pom poms to macrame hangers. This boho-inspired look adds a playful element while showcasing your greenery in style. If you prefer a more subtle approach, consider filling clear glass vases with colourful mini-pom poms before adding flowers or branches. The vibrant pops of colour peeking through the stems will bring joy and personality to any room.
DIY Ideas for Making Your Own Pom Pom Decor
Creating a garland is one simple way to incorporate pom poms into your decor. Choose yarn in various colours that complement your existing colour scheme, or go wild with bright hues for an eye-catching statement piece. Make multiple pom poms using the desired method (fork, cardboard template, or pompom maker), then attach them using string or twine. Hang them across a mantel, drape them on shelves, or even use them as party decorations.
Tips for Choosing the Right Color and Size of Pom
Here are some tips to help you make the perfect choice:
- Consider your existing colour scheme: Take a look at the colours already present in your space. Choose pom poms that match or contrast these colours to create an eye-catching effect.
- Consider the mood you want to create: Different colours evoke different emotions. For example, warm tones like red, orange, and yellow can add energy and vibrancy to a room, while cool tones like blue, green, and purple create a calming atmosphere.
- Play with patterns: Mix and match pom poms with different patterns and sizes for a playful and eclectic look if you’re feeling adventurous. Just be sure to balance it out by using solid-coloured pieces as well.
- Consider the size of your space: In smaller rooms or areas with limited space, opt for smaller-sized pom poms to avoid overwhelming the area visually. On the other hand, larger rooms can handle bigger pom poms that will make more of an impact.
- Experiment with texture: Pom poms come in various textures – from fluffy yarns to sleeker materials like silk or cotton thread. Consider how these textures will enhance or complement other elements in your space, such as furniture upholstery or curtains.