Decorating a bedroom is all about creating a space that feels both comfortable and stylish. And when it comes to designing around a king-size bed, choosing the right rug is essential for adding that perfect finishing touch. But with so many options available, how do you know what size rug goes under a king bed? We’ll guide you through everything you need to know about selecting the ideal rug size for your regal sleeping sanctuary.
A King Bed Rug’s Size Is Crucial
Choosing the right size rug for a king bed is more than just an aesthetic decision – it can significantly affect your bedroom’s overall look and feel. A well-proportioned rug can anchor the space, creating balance and harmony. On the other hand, an ill-fitting toupee can throw off the entire room’s design. A correctly sized rug adds warmth and comfort to your space. Stepping out of bed onto soft plushness enhances that cosy feeling every morning when you wake up. Plus, it keeps your feet warm during those chilly winter months! Selecting the right size rug ensures practicality in terms of functionality as well. With enough coverage around your king bed, you’ll have plenty of space to walk comfortably without stepping on bare floors or cold tiles.
Measuring Your King Bed for the Perfect Rug Size
Measuring your bed accurately is essential to ensure you find the perfect fit. Start by measuring the width and length of your mattress. Remember that king beds come in two standard sizes – Eastern King (76 inches wide) and California King (72 inches wide). Once you have these measurements, consider how much floor space you want the rug to cover. A common rule of thumb is to leave at least 18-24 inches of rug visible on all sides of the bed. This creates a balanced look and prevents the carpet from looking too small or overwhelmed by furniture.
Standard Rug Sizes and Their Fit for a King Bed
One option for a king bed is an 8×10 or 9×12 rug. These larger sizes can cover a significant portion of the floor area around the mattress, providing ample space for your feet to land when you wake up. Another popular choice is two smaller rugs on either side of the bed. This allows you to incorporate different patterns or textures into your room while maintaining symmetry and balance. If you prefer a more minimalist look, consider using a runner-style rug at the foot of the bed. This elongated shape adds visual interest without overwhelming the space.
Types of Rugs to Consider for a King Bed
There are several types to consider that can enhance the overall look and feel of your bedroom. One option is a plush shag rug, which adds warmth and softness underfoot. The luxurious texture of a shag rug can create a cosy atmosphere in your bedroom. If you prefer a more traditional or elegant look, an oriental or Persian rug might be the perfect choice. These rugs often feature intricate patterns and rich colours that can add depth and sophistication to your space. You can opt for a larger size to ensure the entire bed frame fits comfortably on the rug.
Tips for Styling a Rug under a King Bed
There are a few tips and tricks that can elevate the overall look of your bedroom. First and foremost, consider the size of your rug. A common mistake is choosing a too-small carpet for the space, making the room feel off-balance. Opting for a larger rug will ensure that it extends beyond the edges of the bed on all sides. If you have nightstands flanking your bed, place them on the mat for a polished look. Another tip is to choose a carpet with complementary colours or patterns that tie in with your overall bedroom decor. This will help create harmony within the space and add visual interest.
Alternative Options to Rugs for Under a King Bed
Several alternatives can still achieve the desired effect under a king bed.
1. Carpet Tiles: For those who prefer a more customizable approach, carpet tiles offer versatility and convenience. You can create a rug-like effect by arranging the carpet tiles in any pattern or size you desire. This option also allows for easy replacement of individual tiles if necessary.
2. Vinyl Flooring: If you’re looking for something low-maintenance and durable, vinyl flooring is worth considering. It comes in various designs that mimic the appearance of hardwood or tile floors but with added comfort underfoot.
3. Wood Planks: Adding wood planks underneath your king bed creates a rustic and natural look that complements any bedroom decor style. Choose from different wood finishes to match your existing furniture or create contrast with lighter or darker tones.
4. Laminate Flooring: Similar to vinyl flooring, laminate offers affordability and ease of installation while providing a wide range of styles and finishes.
5. Cork Mats: As an eco-friendly option that provides cushioning underfoot, cork mats are becoming increasingly popular for rugs under beds. They add warmth and texture while reducing noise levels in your bedroom.
6. Concrete Stenciling: For an industrial-chic look, consider stencilling patterns directly onto concrete floors beneath your king bed using paint or acid stains.